Monday 2 June 2008

Puff Mama

Noah's favourite song at the moment is Puff the Magic Dragon. It's a pity I don't really know all the words, so I've just been ad-libbing. Did you know that when you mishear lyrics it's called a Mondegreen?

American writer Sylvia Wright coined the expression after she misinterpreted the line from the 17th century ballad 'The Bonny Earl O' Murray'. She heard:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl Amurray, [sic]
And Lady Mondegreen.

The actual fourth line is 'And laid him on the green'.

There are loads more hilarious examples here and here. That's if you have some spare time and want a silly laugh.

Back from my tangents - the reason I was thinking about 'puffs' - before our baby girl was born I started learning how to make Suffolk Puffs (also known as Yo-Yos) from Heather Bailey's tutorials. I've only done fifteen. A bit crummy I know, but it's a start! So now I am resuming my mission. I need to make over 200 to complete my project. It's rainy and grey, so no good for photos, but when it's sunnier, I'll take a snap, and hopefully I will have more than fifteen little puffs for show and tell!

Wouldn't it be beautiful to have a whole bedspread made of them?!

Back to the ranch, I think it's funny how things start to go right. For a long time we've wanted to move out. I've mentioned before that we live with my in-laws. This past week things have started to go really awry, and it's definitely feeling like it's time to go. There have been tears and arguments, both of which I could do without. It's definitely been a trying three years.

We've been looking for months for places to look at. Yesterday we found a place online that we liked and I rang the real estate agent this morning but they'd already taken applications. Poop!

It had also been a stress that I had to start finding work, and nothing seemed to be coming up. It started feeling as if even though we were ready to move, the universe was working against us.

In short, everything was going backwards.

But it's funny how life can turn around in just a few short hours...

Late this morning some work came in for me. Yipeeee. In fact, not one job, but two.

And at 5pm this afternoon the real estate agent called me to ask if we were still interested because no one had bothered calling her back so she was going to have another inspection.

Yes please!

So fingers crossed tomorrow continues to be a good thing... Here's hoping.

- And I am having an issue with my flickr upload.. I can't get it aligned. Please forgive my formatting issues!

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

I love a good Mondegreen - they make me laugh.

Have you seen the yo-yo quilt that Jenny from Allsorts is restoring?

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

No! I will have to check it out. I love a yo-yo!