Sunday 12 July 2009

Memory Makers


I always embrace a new way to preserve memories. So many things happen, so many high points, low points, memorable points, so much that I won't remember unaided. And I want to remember as much as a I can about my children growing up. I wish I could just simply add some more memory to my own personal hard drive, but given I can't, there are ways to remember good things. And it's more than just photos.

I am pretty certain I gleaned this awesome idea from Brooke at Inchmark.

Whenever the Doctor says something funny, I take a scrap of paper (and I mean scrap, an old receipt, the back of an envelope etc) and write it down with the date. I then pop it into a tin.

When I'm having a grey day, I take out these little things and read them. And there are some real funny ones in there:

'Mum, look what the Winterman says!' - the Doctor calls the weatherman the Winterman. Quite apt during Winter.

'Mum why is that dog going for a walk without it's anter?' - the Doctor for some unknown reason calls owners 'anters'. It's too darling to correct him.

Or this one from pre-Christmas last year: 'Our Christmas lights are dancing'.

Or this one: 'Thank you for letting me do some toilet training a very while ago'. (Seriously, the pleasure is all mine).
Cheap and cheerful. Got any other ways to preserve your darling memories?

13 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this idea and have a jar too. My favourite is "my mouth is my best friend" from Hugo. How apt.

I know what you mean about upgrading the memory though, that would be wonderful...

Georgie Love said...

Oh that is wonderful. You lovely mama. I will be stealing this one.

Stomper Girl said...

This is such a lovely idea.

Tania said...

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I do remember to scrawl them on the back of something which then inevitably ends up with a shopping list scrawled over the top. Shall duly locate tin for the kitchen so I don't ever forget that my two year old calls those green things with many legs 'cappalillas'.

Sunshine said...

I love it! Thanky ou for giving me this treasure before I have babies of my own.

Cindy said...

Glen leaves before I wake up so we occasionally leave each other notes. I now have a note book so that I can keep them, Caleb loves it when he gets up and the notepad is out and I have to read him what it says. Glen always adds in something for them. I think the little pillows with a pocket in the back are really nice baby presents that can sit it their room and you can add the little notes into the secret spot at the back.
My only note at the moment would read "HELP, only 1 more day of school holidays left"

Cass said...

I can't wait until Lucy is thanking me for toilet training, I think she'll be 21 though

JustJess said...

Great idea Lexi. My favourite is Miss 2 seeing the waning moon and saying: "oh no! the moon is all broken!", then a second later: "it's ok, daddy fix it" Your idea of popping them all in a jar or tin is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

Awesome idea Lexi. I too scratch these little gems down on scraps of paper thinking I will transfer them to the baby books (that haven't been touched since my four year old was about six months old). Popping the scraps in a container is simply genius ;)

Aussie-waffler said...

I love this idea but with the amount my children talk I will be requiring an industrial sized container to accommodate all the little treasures.I suppose there is that empty space where we usually put the Christmas tree....

Rachael said...

Love it. We have one too. I think my recent favs are;

'Your hair looks mental. You look like a crazy lady' (said to me).

'Some children do it. Some children don't. I am a pooer.'

xxx

MsGourmet said...

The other day my 4 year old girl asked 'Mama will there be dessert in heaven'? Days later, I was still smiling about her comment and wondered how I was going to capture all her precious thoughts and ramblings. Thank You for such a simple solution!

Catherine said...

oh lexi i love this!!! i love the randomness of scraps of paper, receipts, etc. perfect.