Saturday 14 August 2010

A Hidden Garden


We have spent the afternoon exploring a hidden garden, trees heavy with camellia blooms, red, pink, variegated, so pretty for small fingers to peel back petals. So pretty strewn across the neatly clipped lawn.

Camellias are one of those flowers that appeal to me for many reasons, but mainly, they are just so ridiculously beautiful and I think, old-fashioned. I like old-fashioned flowers.

Image via Sazanka - a 1958 edition of The History of Camellias

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Me too. Nothing better than peeling back the layers of an almost there bud.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

... anmd when they loose their petals they make a pink carpet. I love them too.

Lis said...

Oh how I want to create a secret garden. Flowers, fruit trees, so many wishes. .

Christina Lowry said...

Also fond of the good old Camellia. I once lived on Camellia Street and had a huge pink Camellia in my front yard. Shame it was just a rental. I want to move back!

:)

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

oh so beautiful and old fashion - i agree! if only i didn't kill any plan that comes near me, these would be in my garden for sure!!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Am more than a little in love with Camelia's myself. We have a camelia hedge (and a subsequent pink carpet when the petals fall.)

The lady next door has some stunning ones in pots.

Maybe do-able?

tea with lucy said...

We have half an acre full of them. Magic.

Did you know that tea leaves are from C. sinesis? I only learned that yesterday...