Monday 24 November 2014

Yo Mama! An Interview with Claire Aristides



Imagine your day surrounded by diamonds, sapphires, gold, silver, (no myrrh), all manner of 
luxe beauty. Swoon. I can't imagine the ecstasy. Let's imagine really, really hard, because it sounds pretty fabulous.

Today's Yo Mama! interview is with Claire Aristides. She doesn't need to imagine all that 
sparkly fun because she is amidst it every day. A jewellery designer with a minimalist, luxury approach to jewellery. SO up my alley. 

She reinterprets classic designs for modern women, and I've spent waaaaay too much time
over on her website and Instagram feed drooling over just about everything. So between her time designing new collections, and being a busy mama, she was able to answer a few
about what it's like to be Claire Aristides. 

Let's do this!



PMM: Claire Aristides. Tell me about a normal day in your life. (Is there such a thing?)

CA: Yes, no. No normal day ever. Which has its pluses and minuses. I think most people's 
days are really mixed up as we all seem to be so busy! 



You create beautiful jewellery that's highly covetable. How did you get started? 

It's a cliche but my mum passed down the passion for jewellery to me. I have vivid memories of her trying on fabulous shiny jewels in the 70s when we lived in Singapore. I started down the corporate track for a bit but then took the leap of faith to start my own line. I first started in fashion jewellery then branched out into the real thing! Diamonds and precious gems!  And I've never looked back.



What did you dream of being when you were little? What were you going to be when you grew up?

I'm not sure. I just remember always enjoying making things, being creative expressing myself etc.  Isn't it so hard to know what you want to do? I feel so lucky that I found something I love. 



Where do you seek inspiration?


Travel definitely. For many reasons - the obvious being different sights, sounds, smells. The 
senses are completely stimulated. But also because you 'get away' from day to day and that's when your mind 'thinks - and creates. Going for a big long walk, run, or swim can bring out my creative juices as well. My main inspirations are always redefining classic fine jewellery in a modern context. I love stones too, so seeing a beautiful gem set simply yet stunningly always makes me happy. 


How do you juggle motherhood with your work? 


I have the best husband. I honestly could not do what I do without him.  He is an incredible help. I do get very stressed juggling it all, but it's my choice to do so much. So you've just got to be happy, be as relaxed as you can. I think what you don't realise with motherhood is how little 'alone' time you get - and I'm very much a person that recharges when I have some alone time. You also just have to prioritise whats important, you can't do it all.

What's one tip you'd love to share with another mother?

Everyone finds it tough on different levels at different stages over different things. So don't 
judge! Don't think someone else has it super easy - and you've got it tough all the time. 


Do you have certain pieces of jewellery that you wear every day?

Ha - this is going to be a blog post soon. Diamond Hoops. Some people say they live in jeans I live in Diamond Hoops.



What's your favourite part of your job?

Seeing other people happy. Again it's a cliche, but my job is making people happy - with 
something sparkly, precious, sentimental!



And do you have a worst bit?

Filling in forms. Admin. Paperwork bits and bobs... Can't stand it.



Juggling work-life is tricky. How do you take time out for yourself?

I have neglected myself. And this resulted in being sick this year. So I am trying really hard to look after myself more. I started with the basics - like eight hours of sleep, taking vitamins, not checking my phone every minute of the day! I'm hoping for a sisters getaway in January.


What's coming up next for Claire Aristides?

We just launched our search for the babyface of my Bambino Diamonds collection. So after 
Christmas madness it's shooting the winner with Tiny Tribe Magazine.



Make sure you enter Claire's new competition to see if your baby could be the new face of the Bambino Diamonds Collection

Shop the Claire Aristides collection here
Follow Claire on Instagram.
Or hop onto Facebook for more inspiration.



This is the 12th interview in my Yo Mama! series. Interviews with creative working mamas. Look out for them weekly. 

No comments: