Monday, 18 January 2010

Date Night:: Joanna Newsom

Matt and I are hitting the town tonight (but not the tiles) and heading to see Joanna Newsom at the Opera House. I am very much looking forward to seeing the girl play the harp. It's so romantic. If I had even one singular musical bone in my body, I would love to play the harp. Alas, much to my parent's disgust, at the age of 9 I squandered my piano lessons, after 6 weeks or was it 6 months?? It felt like months, but did I really sit through that many lessons playing that same damn song in D minor? I can't remember. I still can't read music. I ditched those lessons. I hated practising and I hated that I couldn't read music. I can feel the 9 year old angst right now.

Anyway, it's date night. How much angst can that breed? Not much. Not much at all.

10 comments:

the textured leaf said...

well, i never had piano lessons cos we couldnt afford it. im not sad, cos now i have a piano and play when no one is looking. I wouldnt have liked being told how to play either. my kids play every day but they wont be having lessons either. they are a little bit good at it naturally. I loved seeing the clip, thanks

Little Ted Canvas said...

Sounds fabulous, have a great night!

Michele said...

Same here - but just 3 weeks of piano lessons before I quit for the very same reasons. Now wish I had picked guitar and stuck with it. Nothing like acoustic guitar. Love it.
Or cello. How gorgeous is the cello. Have a great date night I am envious (memo to me - get back into date nights its been too long)

Bianca said...

I'm so excited I almost did a little wee!! Joanna Newsome is in town!!! wwweeeee please be coming to brisbane, please be coming to brisbane, please be coming to brisbane!!!

Bianca said...

SON OF A GUN!! She was on Saturday GONE!!! I am totally a little teary right now :(

Katy said...

Have a great night! I love this song - it is just happiness x

Bec said...

Oh! I hope it was wonderful, I'm sure it was, she is amazing!

Bec @ honi design said...

so insanely jealous - I love her music. Was it simply wonderful?

mama bear said...

Ah I love Joanna Newsome... hope you had a great time. I suffered through piano lessons for 12 years, with Russian teachers that scared the heebies out of me. I wish it came easily to me but it didn't. And I'm like you – terrible at reading music – I don't know how I managed to pass an exam!

Brad said...

Great to see my favorite harpist getting some respect!

Speaking of Newsom, Roan Press's "Visions of Joanna Newsom" book is now available for pre-ordering: http://www.roanpress.com/ourbooks.html

You can see the blurbs at http://www.roanpress.com/news.html