Monday 11 October 2010

Stigma Number Four:: Breast Check


The other day I had to go to my GP for a regular check up. And to get her to freeze a stubborn plantar wart. Again.

While I was there she asked if I checked my breasts regularly.

I laughed.

I mean, I know I shouldn't have laughed. I am fully aware of that. But I am complacent.

I explained to her that because I am lacking in the breast department, I tend not to routinely check my breasts - because if there isn't anything there, then how can anything else be there? I concluded my weak argument with the fact that, despite my complacency, I realised I really should be checking my breasts regularly.

She conducted the exam, and then said "Yes, I see - I'm feeling more rib cage than breast tissue." What a cruel way to reiterate that my boobies are lacking! But I did laugh.

Anyway, the crux of today's story is this. Check your breasts. Monthly. Make it a ritual. Too many women discover too late that they have breast cancer. Cancer sucks.
Click here to go through to check out the array of how-tos on YouTube.
And if in doubt - go to your GP. If there's something not quite right - get it checked out.

10 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

I have always had the same thoughts, being very small in the bust department, not anything there to check..thank you for pointing out the importance regardless of size, I will be checking from now on...

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

i should check. I really should, why am I so complacent about it?

Michele @ The Hills are Alive said...

Amen to this - do check. I found a lump and went and had the squish test and follow up from that. Not nice - not painful really but discomfort but not nice thinking of all the WHAT IFs. But I would RATHER KNOW and KNOW EARLY. All turned out GOOD thankfully although as a 14DD (at the other end of the scale PMM maybe we can meet halfway I will gladly share and lighten the load somewhat)...anyway was told "yes there IS a lump (cue internal screaming) but (ahhhh the magical but word) it is only (only?!) "insignificant breast tissue" what INSIGNIFICANT? These mummas? These shirt potatoes! Nothing INSIGNIFICANT about them!

My husband still gets a laugh out of that one....hhmmmmm

Seriously though - do check them/get them checked. a little bit of time/discomfort is so worth it for your health and sanity.
Go with a friend. Make a day of it. Go out for a nice wine beforeor after. Hold each others hand. Share each others worries. laugh at each others ta ta's or weird positions they get your girls into to squish them in that thing - whatever it takes GO DO IT!

trash said...

And tell your men too. A) Many breast cancers are identified because the partner notices the difference and B)MEN CAN GET BREAST CANCER TOO!!!!!!

spectacularfairywren said...

i think i don't because i am scared. Seems a bit ostrich head in sand now that i write it...

will do PMM.

Lauren said...

My mom had almost zero breast tissue (not even enough for an A cup), but she still checked and thank goodness she did because she found a lump and found it early. Her breast cancer was stage 1 but super aggressive, and if she didn't catch it early it could have spread very quickly to her lymph nodes. Now she's finishing chemo and doing great! Moral of the story: zero (or almost zero) breast tissue does not mean zero chance of cancer. Go get checked!

BOB & MABEL said...

Thanks for the reminder, just checked mine whilst reading your post. I'm also a member of the "itty bitty titty committee"!!!!

Christina Lowry said...

More ribs here too, but I do check when I remember to.

:)

flossy-p said...

HA, you're not alone. Last time I went for lady checks, I asked "Is this a lump should be concerned about?"... Her reply "No, that's a rib!" ;)

Little Pinwheel said...

typing one hand and the other checking my boob. yep scary my mum and sister both had a scare. please hold, next boob.

done.

Yep nothing there, but a whole lot of rib. It is very serious, and I thank you for reminding me that I have slacked off. I used to do it every month, but I stopped. I will start again.

cancer does suck. Suck is not a big enough word though. Facing it now. Really sad.... really sad.

xx