Wednesday 30 March 2011

Books. Books. Books. Books. Books. Everywhere We Look.

The Doctor has marched ahead in reading, and after what feels like just a few weeks, he's well on his way to reading. And totes loving it. He's practising his writing. He sews words together with his letters, he reads things, he loves doing his nightly readers, it is a joy to witness. My little man, reading. It's amazing! During this term, I've given much thought to how difficult it is to learn to read, write and to speak. A language that has the letter 'c', the word 'sea' and another word 'see', just to name one problem. It's crazy! Who came up with this stuff? So to see my little man learning, a real sponge, and loving it, it's joyful. I love the written word, and I hope he grows up with my love for writing and reading everything. Including cereal boxes. Nutritional boxes. Community noticeboards. Actually words anywhere. I freaking love words.

Have you read this William Bee book, 'Beware Of The Frog'? It's fabulous. It's fun. It's quirky and it's cool. Get a copy.

5 comments:

Katie: Grow.Cook.Sew. said...

You (like me), must be listening to way too much Justine Clark? No?

Anoosh said...

I was just saying the other day... we have "door", "more", "for" - all of which make the same sound! No wonder my poor mum constantly questions her spelling (english not being her first language). How lovely to witness your little man's progress :)

BOB & MABEL said...

I must check out that book.
My eldest daughter is 9 and is an avid reader, with the 6 and 4 year old also book obsessed. I am so hoping that this enthusiasm continues. The eldest 2 have just started the Premier's Reading Challenge and are beside themselves with excitement. A great way to encourage reading!

Jodi said...

The wonder of words - oh so good. You must be so proud. Think of all the lazy winter afternoons reading that are just around the corner. Sounds perfect x

Monique said...

Has the Doctor clapped his eyes on these lego city readers?

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=lego+city+readers&search=search

My guy has just started reading them himself. His two greatest loves: lego and books. Fantastic kid fun.