Friday 19 December 2014

6 tips to create an exercise routine



It's long been documented that I am probably the most fickle exerciser that ever roamed the planet. 


I get a whiff of it and I'm into it, and then something happens (i.e. a chair lands on my foot and breaks my toe) and I am off it. 


It's simple really. I dream of being an athlete. And yet the stark reality is this. I am not. 


Every year before New Year's happens - I make pre-New Year's resolutions. Because New Year's resolutions (in my mind) are meant to be broken. Whereas a commitment beforehand is based on more mettle. 


So my pre-New Year's resolution is this: to stop being fanatical about exercise, and find a gentle rhythm where I can feel good and happy, and look after my body. A place where I am not obsessed, but where it's just part of my everyday. 


I once read Sarah Wilson write that exercise shouldn't be about slotting it in three times a week for 40 minutes, but a better investment would be every day for 20 minutes. It somehow makes it feel more manageable. Increments is what I can deal with. 


So today I'm sharing six tips with you to get yourself out the door and moving more:


1. Get your kit ready: Before bed, I lay out my exercise gear. That way it's pretty simple. Hit the alarm. Jump up. Get my gear on. A spray of deodorant and boom - I am out the door in under 10 minutes. And by the way - set your alarm and get up earlier. You CAN make time for exercise. And if you stick to my tips you will miss it if you don't do it. The University of North Texas research has shown that people who exercise in the morning are more likely to stick with their workout than those who exercise later in the day. 


2. Organise your tunes: I have a good playlist that I love for my walks/runs/cartwheels around the neighbourhood. But you have to mix things up. You gotta keep things fresh. Rihanna is a no-brainer, those beats, yep, they get me moving, but find out what songs your friends love to work out to, and stick them on your iPod. 


3. Commit for 21 days: A long, long time ago I read about how to create a habit. A good habit. And it takes 21 days of solid commitment before that habit is made. Showing up is half the battle - once you're there, you're in! 


4. Take a friend: If you have a friend to pump iron with, you'll be more likely to show up. And have fun. And be less intimidated if you're joining a gym. Buddy up and tone up. Together.


5. Write it down: I know. This might sound crazy, but I tried this and felt like I really accomplished something. It might make you think of me as a five year old girl, but putting a cross on my calendar every time I exercised made me keep going. 


6. Perhaps the most important: Make it fun. If it's not fun, my brain starts to think of all the other awesome things I could do. Like Sleep. If you hate running, don't run. If you don't dig the gym, don't join up to the gym. Find something that you love doing, and if it starts to get laborious - switch it up.


This year it's high on my agenda. Hold me accountable. 



This post is brought to you by Rexona Clinical for Women

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm going to join you with small exercise every day...either a short run or a lunch-time yoga session (becasue the classes are short and only $10!) class or a short ride...something...ANYTHING