Tuesday, 23 December 2014
Last Minute Christmas Gifts?
I gave my kids some chickens for Christmas. Cute, fluffy, egg-laying, cheeping chickens.
Except they don't get the chickens. They're going to someone in need so they can collect the eggs, eat the eggs, sell the eggs.
My kids were both pretty chuffed with their chickens - even when they realised the chickens weren't coming to live with us.
Which made me think about last minute gift ideas, because I LOVE last minute gift ideas that give back. They're the best kind!
1. Chickens from TEAR Australia $5 each: Give the gift of a chicken to help those in poverty learn to raise chickens, build chicken coops, keep chickens healthy - and also give them chickens.
2. Breakfast for a child in South Africa from Oxfam $20: This gift goes towards meals and life-saving programs for children in South Africa who are living with HIV.
3. Donate to The Katrina Dawson Foundation: In memory of a bright and brilliant woman, the foundation is focussed on the education of women and is now taking donations.
4. In memoriam of Tori Johnson - donate to Beyond Blue: Tori always believed in helping others and always taking a positive approach. In this spirit we have started a fund to raise money for beyondblue, a fantastic cause that Tori’s family have chosen to support. beyondblue is a national initiative to raise awareness of anxiety and depression, providing resources for recovery, management and resilience.
5. Don't attend the Hamlin Fistula Christmas event: The best Christmas party you won't be attending. Donations will go towards food for patients and the hardworking midwives who work tirelessly in Ethiopia to help women suffering from obstetric fistulas.
Making a donation in someone's name is a pretty awesome thing, I believe.
Big love, big, big love. x