Wednesday 28 January 2015

Reading:: Hector and the Search for Happiness (a book review)



By now you should know that there's no rhyme or reason why I pick up books. I just go for random books and read them. By no means is this Oprah's book club either. I don't have enough dress changes to warrant that. 

But again (I know, I know) I saw the movie trailer for this film, and was drawn to reading the book.

So Still Alice was about a psychologist, and Hector and the Search for Happiness is about a psychiatrist. Maybe there's something going on with my sub conscious ? Never mind, I saw the trailer and thought it looked pretty darn funny. It made perfect sense to me to read the best selling book as translated from French to English by Lorenza Garcia. 

I did wonder if some of the depth was lost because of the translation (Lost in Translation anyone), but then again - I really enjoyed this - delightful, simple and fun, this book has been read by over two million people. It delivers an easy-to-follow story, and some important lessons along the way.

About 18 months ago I read The Happiness Project. I am always on the hunt for happiness (who isn't!), and reading this book (it's a really swift and simple read) was a good - and different - kind of adventure. 

It's the story of Hector. A psychiatrist who leaves his office in Paris to travel the world to find out what makes people happy. In over 20 neat lessons, Hector narrows his lessons down to succinct findings - and then tests them against a happiness researcher with happy results. 


Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord $18.50 



* Reading is all about what I'm reading. It's not sponsored. It's simply me, reading a book and sharing with you. A book club of sorts. In 2015 it's my goal to read at least one book per month - and share my lowdown on them with you. Maybe you'd like to read along? If so, let me know and we can virtually have a book club. 

2 comments:

Babs (patchworkcactus@typepad said...

That sounds so sweet, I am shit at reading books, I spent too much time reading the webs.

Lexi Kentmann said...

Stop on the interwebz and pick up a book! SO good for the soul!