Monday 2 February 2015

The Incredible 'The Imitation Game'.





I took myself off to the movies on Saturday afternoon - which is a rare treat indeed. A solo movie jaunt, and no one to share the popcorn with. Actually, if you must know, I didn't have popcorn. I had a choc top. It's almost compulsory to do so.

I've really, really wanted to see The Imitation Game since it first hit the big screen. 

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Keira Knightley.

And a little-known story (war altering) about WWII. 

A film about the incredible mind of Alan Turing. The creator of the world's first computer.

Honestly, since watching this, I haven't stopped thinking about it. There's so much to contemplate. To digest. To mull over. 

You know those movies when you come out and feel like you really need to chat with someone about it, to debrief? This, for me, was one of those. 

From the performances of Cumberbatch and Knightley (and everyone else) to the true story, my mind was completely blown. It was beautiful, incredible, funny (in some parts) and so hauntingly sad.  




If you've seen it, I'd love to know what you think! 

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I haven't seen it yet. Some of the reviews have been quite critical of the historical/biographical accuracy - I'm keen to have a look and compare. Turing was a pretty interesting guy in real life and it seems they turned the volume up on some parts and down on others to make this film. Here is another take on the same story which I did really like: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157583/

Lexi Kentmann said...

I will have to check it out. Thank you Kristy!

Carrie said...

It's the worst when you pick the one movie that needs to be discussed when you decide to go to the cinema on your own.

Kate said...

I love this film - it's fantastic on so many levels.. but at the end of the day it is a story of a truly incredible man and the tragedy of ignorance.. I saw it a few weeks ago and think of it often.. I hate to wonder what tragic stories our generation will be responsible for..

katiecrackernuts said...

It's the one movie I've seen, at the movies, for about two years - maybe longer. Loved it. My partner loved it so much she bought the book. It's a thick chunky brainiacs book. I won't be reading it. I also got the Blechley Circle season 2 from the kids for Christmas. Have watched the first mystery. Also love.

Leisa said...

Saw it with my sister and parents. Loved every moment. Totally engrossed in the story right throughout and interesting conversations following too. Cumberbatch and Knightley were brilliant.