Wednesday 12 August 2015

What to watch

I am the reigning queen of watching movies at home.

I love movies.

It's the perfect way to escape the everyday, and lose yourself in another world.

In fact, I've watched lots of movies lately. So today I'm sharing two good ones that I think you should watch too. Well. If you want. I won't pressure you.



 
'A Little Chaos'

I freaking love Kate Winslet. If you don't love her, don't say anything bad or I will be forced to sit you in the naughty corner.

Now. I loved 'A Little Chaos' so much I watched it twice in two days. That's how beautiful it is.

Set in the 17th century, it's a British period drama (don't let that turn you off, I love period films, Matt doesn't - and Matt loved it too, happily sitting through both screenings) telling the story of Andre le Notre, who was considered the greatest landscape architect of the time. He co-designed gardens at Versailles as well as Tuileries in Paris.

The rest - well it's fictional, but if you're happy to get led up the garden path, it's a beautiful story, and it's romantic too. And who couldn't do with a little extra romance these days?

Cast full of great actors, it's good entertainment. Well in my book it is.




'Big Eyes'

Now - this is based on a true story. Directed by Tim Burton it's the story of American artist Margaret Keane - famous for her paintings and drawings featuring obscenely large eyes. 

Margaret and her daughter are at an outdoor art show selling drawings when she meets her soon-to-be husband, Walter - who's his selling Parisian street scenes.

Margaret's husband, Walter, takes the credit for her paintings in the 1950s and 1960s - and without giving away the punchline - it's pretty fascinating and sad. 

If you want more - you can read this TIME article (spoiler alert, it tells you much of the movie).

Amy Adams is wonderful as Margaret Keane, and the film itself makes for compelling viewing. (I love this shot of the artist Margaret Keane, seen with Amy Adams on the set of 'Big Eyes').




Have you seen any great films lately?

No comments: