Monday 10 August 2015

Reading:: My Paris Dream



I haven't been around here for almost two months. I guess I owe a brief explanation. 

So I left a job, and started a new one. Since then it's been a whirlwind of decompressing, travel, learning, commuting and yearning for things to settle down. And they are. 

As part of my new role, I can commute on the train - which is kind of cool. 

So I've been reading quite a bit. 

My latest is Kate Betts' 'My Paris Dream'. 

Since returning from New York and San Francisco, I've been struck with the travel bug. Reading this book seemed to satiate the yearning and curiosity. 

'My Paris Dream' is Kate's story of leaving the US as a fresh graduate from Princeton - and relocating to France where she was determined to live a Parisian life, thrust into the depths of culture, a new language and finding a job. 

It's a sort of coming of age story, where she works a number of entry-level jobs - before she lands an incredible apprenticeship with Women's Wear Daily. This is where she carves out her career, working ridiculous hours, sacrificing her own life to document the fashion life. 

She circles the city with Yves Saint Laurent, Karl Lagerfield, Christian Louboutin and so many others. But it's not the jerk circle you might expect. She's humble, down to earth and driven. She's hungry for her career, falls in love with the French romantic Herve, and is swept into this vortex driven by WWD. 

It's a beautiful exploration of Paris life, a wonderful memoir, and easy to read. I loved reading about her metamorphosis from La Grande Americaine to one perfectly at home in the heart of Paris.

If you love fashion, Paris and adventure, then this book is worthy of being on your bedside. 

'My Paris Dream' by Kate Betts $29.99 from Berkelouw

* Reading is all about what I'm reading. It's not sponsored. It's simply me, reading a book and sharing with you. A book club of sorts. In 2015 it's my goal to read at least one book per month - and share my lowdown on them with you. Maybe you'd like to read along? If so, let me know and we can virtually have a book club. 

No comments: