Friday 3 October 2008

Postcards From My Garbage Bin

a postcard - hmm, the Stardust Travelodge. Beam me up!

Rest assured, I did not forget that last night was garbage night. You might have. I certainly did not. I've got it etched into my memory. And you know what that means. The good stuff.
While the smalls and I were out for a walk, we went past the house and I got a chance to check out the bin early. Every time we walk in this street, a teenage boy (a different one each time) sans helmet rides past on a small 'toy' motorcycle. Weird, huh? Comical - yes. Rich kids and their toys.

Back to the bin - I think those people are playing games with me. Last week the world's fattest huntsman. This week, a bin full of sticks. I think they're watching me from the bushes, waiting for the crazy lady to come rummage through their bin, and then poking and lstifling laughter while I fend off a spider, and try and hide my disappointment at... sticks.

Fear not. It was also tin/glass recycling night, and paper recycling. Three birds. One night to stone them. I had already stoned the garbage/stick bin. I just had two others to check out.

The tin/glass bin - well that was an old computer and a crummy old sports bag. Ba-bong.

But game not over!

Paper recycling was full to the brink. I had my torch. I had my gloves. I was set to go through the bin. But I had two kids and a husband at home too. So I just did a wee bit of digging. And really, I am getting paranoid about someone pouncing on me and telling me to get out of their bin.

So just a quick bin dive and then home to my adoring fans (read: two sleeping children and my husband doing uni readings who barely even looked up when I walked in the front door, let alone asked me what my search and rescue yielded. HMPH!).
A small concertina book for bills.. It could almost be credited with making bill-paying fun - and who knew monkeys had such an array of bills to pay. I thought they'd just be making out cheques for bananas. Boom boom!

some stuff. it looked more exciting in darkness.

13 comments:

Mrs.French said...

I need to come with you...the jealousy is eating me alive.

Rachael said...

Wow - I have that same document wallet thing with the monkeys! I got it as a child and kept all my very important documents in it (as a 7 year old). I loved it - mine is red. Its still at my parents along with 7 million other boxes of stuff that they fear will be there forever... Lovely blog and I have visited before but thought I should finally de-lurk.

flossy-p said...

I love the Travelodge postcard. Do you watch Lost? It's just like the village that the "Others" live in.

p.s. MAN! Steady on, 3 posts a day! You're making the rest of us Blogtoberfest slack-arses look bad. (hehehe)

CurlyPops said...

How do those people have anything cool and retro left in the house to chuck out? I'm puzzled...

Cindy said...

Sticks in the bin, the gale of these people to put rubbish in the bin - hehe. I am impressed that you managed to overcome spider flashbacks and venture back, true dedication to the cause.

nomes said...

your not a rummager have no shame lovey be proud your just an opportunist! If you mumble to yourself while doing it it will keep people away. Works for me at the supermarket ;)

dee said...

So neat! And just look at those cute little monkeys!

danica said...

I can't believe the wonderful things you found! You have a gift :)

Kirsty said...

I can't believe it's still delivering. It's just like Mary Poppins' carpet bag.

Bellgirl said...

Fabulous finds! I've done a fair bit of skip-diving myself, Mr Bell is embarrassed so I don't take him with me any more. Unless there's somehting really heavy and I need help to carry it home.

Bellgirl said...

BTW I'm a Blogtoberfest groupie, can't manage to post each day myself so I'm visiting every blogtoberfester during the month. I'm looking forward to next week's bin night already ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't watch this anymore. Why are they throwing things out? Why every week? Who are they? Why didn't I find the bin first? Why can't I just be happy for you instead of intensely jealous!
:) Tracey (who is actually happy for you somewhere in my jealous heart!)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I've just been having the most fabulous time reading the stories of your beloved bin. I can't believe the loot that you keep pulling out of there.