Monday 7 December 2009

The Gentle Art Of Quiet Stitching

Lately I've been enjoying stitching. I'm still stitching my sister's belated birthday present, because each time I get to feeling almost finished, I decide to embellish it further. This could continue for a while, however the more stitches the pillowcase collects, the firmer the fabric becomes and she may well feel like she's sleeping on a piece of cardboard. So I will stop soon.

But stitching provides me with such a nice rhythmic, solo pursuit.

As a mother it's rare these days that I get to do anything solo. So stitching is usually left to bed time, when I pore over my colours, selecting them with care, and then stitching. Sometimes I colour match incorrectly and spend the next evening carefully unpicking, but it's all part of it. And the truth is, sometimes those imperfections are part of the beauty of stitching.

My grandmother is an incredible stitcher. Sadly, she's almost blind, however I know each of my sisters and I cherish anything that has been hand-stitched by our Marsy. I constantly seek inspiration from her embroidery and can spend many minutes looking with amazement at her incredibly tiny stitches. I have this towel that she must have given to me at least ten years ago, which I've never used because it's too special. I know she'd want me to use it, but look at the work, no way Jose!
Who's your inspiration?

10 comments:

teddybearswednesday said...

Your present for your sister is looking beautiful!
Is that some of your nan embroidery below. So fine!
I have lots of inspiration people, Margaret Steiff and Richard Steiff who made the first teddy bear, would be two biggies, but also Michael Leunig, and my old bears too.

suzy said...

Ben's Grandma made us this amazing tablecloth for our wedding present. It's too beautiful to throw on the ye olde table.
Grandma always tells me off, but it's a keepsake and far too special.
Hang onto those beautiful towels. They are amazing.
xxx
ps - my inspiration are the lovely blogs (including yours) I have the pleasure of reading every day.

Tania said...

I'm all for using stuff, but that towel most definitively falls into the No Way Jose category. Inspiration? Hmn. Lots. Everything. Although with the sleep deprived brain there's no telling what tangent I'll be on from one minute to the next...

no blog norma said...

both embroideries are gorgeous. to craft,you blogging wenches inspire me as well as memories of my Mum who could turn her hand to any crafty stuff.

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

thanks be to all our ancestors and rellies who have handed down their crafts for us to enjoy. my mum knits in the most perfect stitches i've ever seen, looks like it comes from a machine! and the quilt she made for my oldest little bloke was handstitched devotion which looks amazing. x

Andrea on Third Street said...

Wow, your granmother's work (and your's too!) is amazing. She sure is an inspiration.

teddybearswednesday said...

PS I've given you an award on my blog, because your spesh, but you don't have to join in if you don't want.

Insurance Telemarketing said...

Oh wow!! Those hand towels look SO CUTE!!!

I really wish I had this kind of talent.

Umatji said...

That is beautiful stitching - I saw a hilarious and naughtyrude stitched pillow case today - can't remember where but it made me hoot! Your is great - warm fuzzies rather than hooting though! I am inspired all over - just like the aesthetics of life in general and love to give iwth love and thought and craftingis the best wayto do that sometimes...

Cindy said...

My Nan was a freaking gem so she definately inspires me. She was crafty and sweet and just a good-in. Kiddies for sure are always pushing me to be the best I can. Other inspiration - clever bloggy ladies, so much good stuff I reckon