Saturday 3 September 2011

Movie Review:: Rango

A couple of weeks ago I convinced the smalls they wanted to see Rango. Tiny was pretty keen - the Doctor, notsomuch. He needed a lot of convincing.


But we watched it - a couple of times. Who could resist a film starring Johnny Depp? Clearly, not I. Who could resist a film about a chameleon starring in a Western? Clearly, not I.


One of my favourite scenes - without giving too much away - is where he sheds his skin. If you've seen Rango, you may know this scene, he kind of freezes, and the skin cracks off. Exactly how my eye feels. Like a lizard shedding its skin.


But in the interests of reviewing this fairly, I'll review as two different people. The (wo)man in the mirror. And the (wo)man not in the mirror.

-----------------------------------

1st review: from a mother of a 3.5 year old and a 6 year old


Finally a cool & quirky film with an all-star cast. I like Shrek, Cat In the Hat and all those others as much as every other person, but Rango is a bit different. Johnny Depp. Isla Fisher. Johnny Depp.


BUT Rango has some pretty serious, pretty dark undertones. The content is pretty heavy for a small person. There are some sinister characters - which - well so are there in real life, but these are condensed.


It's also violent. Gun-slinging, down and dirty Western style.


Both the smalls were a bit scared at one stage, and I had to stay planted firmly on the couch with them.


So as far as kids movies go, it was good, but be prepared, it's a bit scary. A bit dark. A bit sinister. But with a happy ending.


Now Tiny is obsessed with lizards and they're all called Rango.


3 stars

---------------------------------

2nd review: as a 32 year old woman


Well HELL-O Johnny Depp as a Hawaiian-shirt wearing chameleon. Hello Isla Fisher as a bug-eyed lizard.


Hello beautiful animation and quirky-cool storyline.


Couldn't fault it. Loved it. Funny. Fast paced. Laugh out loud humour. And I really did laugh out loud.

Well worth watching. A couple of times. It's a delightful movie with a moral. Yep.


4 stars

----------------------------------------

There ends my DVD review. Have you seen Rango? What did you think?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I soooo want to see this movie - for the kids of course....LOL.

pepper said...

I did, and although i liked it, I watch a lot of kids movies (don't judge me) and I thought.. that his character could have been more developed, and funnier, and it was a bit dark and really- a prostate check joke isn't funny anywhere. And some of the characters were weird, and there were too many. Also some parts of the plot were a bit silly. Ahem, so. Yep. Sorry, that's what i thought! I'll still watch it again though (Oh Johnny)

pepper said...

ps. I didn't mean, like, "I watch lots of kids movies so yeah I know what I'm talking about". That's not what I meant. Just in case it sounded like that. I rarely know what I'm talking about x