Thursday 15 May 2014

Donating Blood:: Australian Red Cross



Last week I donated blood.

500ml of it.

It was my first time.

I tried many years ago, but couldn't donate as my iron levels were too low. I felt sad.

But this time around my iron levels were ace - and I did it. I am totally pumped.

My Dad routinely donated blood for many years, I remember him coming home with a sticker that said something like 'Be nice to me, I gave blood'. Because of Dad's donations, I always wanted to donate blood too. 

I'm not really good at needles, and gave myself a pep talk to not look at anything because it makes me see stars. I am pleased to say, despite that voice in my head desperately wanting to see what 500ml of blood looks like, I didn't even peek. No stars, just a goodie bag at the end full of tasty treats. Honestly, Matt was a little jelly of the mini Mars Bar.

If you'd like to donate blood, go here. With one blood donation you could help three people. 

1 comment:

Cath @mybeardedpigeon said...

It drives me crazy that I can't donate!! I lived i in the UK for 2 years during the mad cow thing so I am excluded. Good on you Lexi.