Monday 14 October 2013

The Reading Group:: Where'd You Go, Bernadette


I am ashamed to say  - it's been a long time between books. A long time. Yes I read 'The Happiness Project', but that almost doesn't count because it was a project and not somewhere to get lost in another world. It was great though - it IS great even, and I totally recommend reading it. 

'Where'd You Go Bernadette' is a real page turner. It's light, it's intelligent, it's funny - it's actually laugh out loud funny. It's a really successful epistolary novel that brings in lots of different perspectives, narratives and voices to create the enchanting novel. The patchwork style of the story shows the messy, confusing nature of life, it's real, it's raw, and it's crazy good.  

Bernadette is the brilliant protagonist - she's smart as a whip, talented as all get-up, and kooky as they come. The story focusses on Bernadette and her misfit family life in Seattle. 

I absolutely, positively, definitely recommend it. 

I give it 4.5 stars (out of a possible 5 - that's like Olympic standard).

The next book I'm reading is 'Crazy Rich Asians'. Read along with me? 

1 comment:

Sam Stone @ A Life on Venus said...

I need a good book to read. I am going to check this one out.